In a few words
Long called Lower Ireland because of the English-speaking presence in the canton, the current territory of St-Jean-de-Brébeuf was constituted as a Catholic parish in 1930 and as a municipality in 1946 from part of the territories of the canton of Northern Ireland , Halifax South, Inverness and Leeds.
First colonized by Anglophones at the beginning of the 19th century, the region welcomed French Canadians much later. Before the construction of their church, the Catholic faithful had to go to St-Adrien-d'Irlande. In 1920, the mission of St-Jean-d'Irlande was finally created. The first church was created in 1921. Once the parish of St-Jean-de-Brébeuf was erected, the cemetery was opened and a new church was rebuilt alongside it in 1964.